ShopRite Kicks off Healthy Holiday Campaign
If you struggle to avoid culinary temptations during the holiday season, you’re not alone. That’s why ShopRite’s team of more than 100 in-store dietitians have launched their “Healthy Holidays” campaign – a month-long program that allows shoppers to sample better-for-you holiday foods, receive free nutritional advice and pick up or download a free “Healthy Celebrations” recipe booklet with lightened-up versions of holiday favorites.
“The holidays are a time to celebrate traditions and enjoy meals with friends and family,” says Natalie Menza-Crowe, RD, MS, director of Health and Wellness at ShopRite. “If you’re looking to lighten up your favorite holiday dishes, need help finding better-for-you meal ideas, or would like strategies to navigate the dessert table, our ShopRite dietitians are here to help.”
Customers can find out more information about holiday-themed events happening at a ShopRite near them by visiting ShopRite.com, or by stopping by the office of their local ShopRite dietitian. Customers who prefer to interact with a ShopRite dietitian via email or live chat can sign into the newly launched “Chat Live with a Dietitian” feature on ShopRite.com. Using this free service, customers can ask their question directly to a ShopRite dietitian. While holiday events vary from store to store, ShopRite dietitians also offer year-round free counseling sessions to help customers looking for personalized assistance.
Looking for suggestions on how to eat healthy during the holidays? Menza-Crowe has some advice:
For a schedule of RD-led events taking place at ShopRite, please visit www.shoprite.com/welleveryday.
- Plan Ahead…Don’t skip meals before heading out for a party or event, but before indulging, have a healthy snack or light bite at home to take the edge off your hunger.
- Pile on the Veggies…When filing your plate at the holiday table, try to stack at least half your plate with veggies. The fiber will keep you feeling fuller longer – and you can save room for dessert.
- Step up your Appliance Game with an Air Fryer…The newest staple in every healthy-cook’s kitchen, an air fryer is a perfect way to get your favorite holiday foods crispy, without adding extra oil.
- Choose smart swaps when cooking or baking. For instance, use low-fat yogurt in place of sour cream or mayonnaise and serve with cut-up vegetables. Unsweetened applesauce can be used in place of sugar when baking holiday cookies and other treats.
- Attending a Cookie Swap? ShopRite’s team of dietitians have just launched a better-for-you trail mix cookie. Available in the bakery department, it’s a treat you can feel good about serving your family.
- Enjoy the holidays! None of us are perfect, so don’t stress out about indulging in your favorite foods or desserts during the season, you can always get your heathy routine and health goals back on track – but the holidays only come around once a year.
Events may vary by state and store. Contact your local store for details at www.ShopRite.com.