ShopRite Stores Host Gluten-Free Events
Keasbey, NJ -- (May 1, 2016) -- In recognition of Celiac Awareness Month, select ShopRite stores will be offering free gluten-free themed workshops and introducing new gluten-free products.
“Everyone is talking about ‘gluten-free’ items, but many people still wonder exactly what it means if a product is considered gluten-free,” says Natalie Menza, the Health and Wellness manager at ShopRite. “We think it’s important to take this opportunity to educate our customers about gluten-free products and help them make an informed decision about whether or not a gluten-free lifestyle is right for them.”
During the month of May, ShopRite’s team of over 120 in-store retail dietitians will be hosting a series of events and informational sessions about celiac disease, gluten, gluten-free products and other issues related to gluten intolerance.
For a complete list of health events, visit here http://www.shoprite.com/health-events/
Fast facts about ShopRite and gluten-free products:
- A healthy gluten-free diet should focus on all food groups: including low fat dairy, fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and gluten-free whole grains.
- ShopRite’s best-selling “gluten-free” items are: Cold cereals, snacks (such as chips, crackers and pretzels), bread products, pasta products, frozen breaded items, cold-cuts, and baking items such as pancake and cake mixes.
- This month, ShopRite is rolling out its first gluten-free frozen pizza, which comes in three varieties: Classic, Margherita and Pepperoni.
- Gluten-free products can be found in nearly every aisle of the supermarket. There are even gluten-free vitamin supplements, ice cream and tofu.
- As one of the first grocers to embrace the needs of its gluten-sensitive customers, ShopRite has been selling gluten-free products for over a decade.
- Certain over-the-counter and prescription medications can contain gluten. Individuals who need to follow a gluten-free diet should consult with their local ShopRite pharmacist to make sure their prescriptions are gluten-free.
ShopRite is the registered trademark of Wakefern Food Corp., a retailer-owned cooperative based in Keasbey, NJ, and the largest supermarket cooperative in the United States. With more than 250 ShopRite supermarkets located throughout New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Delaware and Maryland, ShopRite serves more than six million customers each week. A long-time supporter of key community efforts, ShopRite is dedicated to fighting hunger in the communities it serves. Through its ShopRite Partners In Caring program, ShopRite has donated more than $39 million to 1,700 worthy charities and food banks since the program began in 1999. For more information, please visit www.ShopRite.com.