Grand Opening Slated for Sunday, May 4th at 9:00 AM
Union, NJ, April 22, 2014
–ShopRite announced today that it will celebrate the opening of its new store in Union, NJ with a ribbon cutting celebration on Sunday, May 4, 2014 at 9:00 AM. The new ShopRite of Union, located at 2401 Route 22 West, is a replacement store and will take the place of the current location on Morris Avenue, also in Union. The store will be owned and operated by Village Super Market, Inc. which also owns and operates 28 additional ShopRite stores in New Jersey, Maryland and Eastern Pennsylvania.
Scheduled to attend the ribbon cutting ceremony are Union Mayor Clifton People, Jr., Town Administrator Ron Manzella, Deputy Mayor Manuel Figueiredo, Assemblyman Joe Cryan and Assemblywoman Annette Quijano, among others. Representatives from the Community FoodBank of New Jersey will also be on hand to accept a donation in honor of the new store.
Bringing an additional 200 jobs to the community, the 60,000 square foot store will employ more than 350 full and part-time associates. In addition to a broad array of groceries, fresh produce and locally sourced products, the ShopRite of Union will feature several unique offerings and services.
- “ShopRite Kitchen,” a small indoor seating area where guests can enjoy a wide array of gourmet food items, including:
- Lavazza Coffee, “Italy’s favourite coffee”
- Celebration Station, for a wide variety of self-serve and custom cakes, ranging from 3D cakes to multi-layer wedding cakes, created by expert cake decorators
- Patisserie 37 offering the finest pastries, including freshly prepared Artuso Pastry, a renowned fourth generation family bakery in the Bronx’s Little Italy..
- Scrunchi San authentic hand-rolled sushi and sashimi
- Mr. Perry’s Smokehouse, featuring barbecue favorites like pulled pork, slow-cooked brisket, St. Louis smoked ribs prepared by the store's in-house Pitmaster
- Blueprint Subs & Salads, where customers create their own sandwich masterpieces, starting with choosing freshly-baked bread from the store’s Five Borough Bread bar
- Authentic Hot Food Bars, featuring Italian, Asian, American, and Indian cuisine
- Fresh Garden Table, featuring fresh salads, toppings, and ingredients
- Wellness Center
- Dietitian’s Corner, offering FREE nutrition services and counseling with Yvette Salcie, RD, the ShopRite of Union’s very own in-store, registered dietitian
- Catering Center with a coordinator who can assist with “made from scratch” catering orders, setup for events and delivery
- ShopRite from Home online shopping service for customers who wish to order groceries for pickup or delivery
“We are very excited to open the doors of this bigger, better and fresher location on Route 22 and look forward to continuing our long standing relationship with our Union neighbors,” said William Sumas, vice chairman of Village Super Market, Inc. “The new ShopRite of Union combines the traditional low prices and value that we’ve always been known for with unique product and service offerings to create the ultimate shopping experience for our loyal customers.”
Each weekend during the month of May will feature themed events to celebrate the grand opening, including:
May 4, 11am – 2 pm – Family Fiesta (arts and crafts, games and food)
May 10, 11 am – 2 pm – Health & Wellness Day (meet your dietitian and pharmacist, sample healthier products)
May 17, 11 am – 2 pm – Catering Expo
May 23, 11 am – 2 pm – Local day (spotlighting local farmers and businesses)
# # #
About Village Super Market, Inc.
Greek immigrants Nick and Perry Sumas opened the first Village Supermarket in 1937. Just under 10 years later the brothers joined Wakefern, becoming one of the cooperative’s earliest members. As the Sumas family grew, so too did their business, now a publicly-owned company. Today, the Sumas family, including Nick’s sons James and Robert, and Perry’s sons William and John, and their children and extended family, operates 29 ShopRite supermarkets located in northern, central and southern New Jersey, Maryland and Pennsylvania.
ShopRite is the registered trademark of Wakefern Food Corp., a retailer-owned cooperative, based in Keasbey, NJ and the largest supermarket cooperative in the United States. With more than 250 ShopRite supermarkets located throughout New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Delaware and Maryland, ShopRite serves more than six million customers each week. A long-time supporter of key community efforts, ShopRite is dedicated to fighting hunger in the communities it serves. Through its ShopRite Partners In Caring program, ShopRite has donated $33 million to 1,700 worthy charities and food banks since the program began in 1999. As a title sponsor of the LPGA’s ShopRite Classic, ShopRite has raised more than $26 million for local schools, hospitals and community groups. Progressive Grocer named ShopRite its 2011 Retailer of the Year and Supermarket News awarded ShopRite its 2011 Retail Excellence Award. For more information, please visit www.ShopRite.com